Sunday, February 10, 2008

Province – Saturday Magazine

Jack Mahony, Province – Saturday Magazine – June 30, 1939
[Hugh Murray] After reaching the headwaters of Pitt Lake, I discharged my two native guides and set out into the mountains … I had been out about two months and finding myself short of grub, I decided to turn back. I climbed to the top of a sharp ridge and looked down into a little valley or canyon. With some difficulty, I reached the little creek lying in the valley. Now comes the interesting part … I had only a small prospector’s pan. But I found colours immediately on the surface. Such colours they were. I knew I had struck it rich … In going up the little creek I came to a place where the bedrock was bare. Here I gathered gold by the handful. Some pieces as large as walnuts. I sized up the little creek. There was millions stored in it. I found later that the creek flows into a ___ and is lost. Now the doctor has told me that my heart is badly affected and that I am liable to drop any time. Don’t give it up, Mr. Shotwell, you will be rewarded beyond your wildest dreams. Don’t give it up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home