Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Province 18 January 1947

Clyde Gilmour The Province 18 January 1947
After reaching the headquarters of Pitt Lake, I discharged my two guides and headed out into the mountains. I had been out two months, when my health became seriously affected by short rations. I decided to turn back. I climbed on the top of a sharp ridge to get my bearings, and found myself looking down into a little valley or canyon I had not seen previously. With some difficulty I reached the little creek lying in the valley. Now comes the interesting part. I had only ‘n prospector’s small pan, but I found color immediately. I knew I had struck it rich. “In going up the creek I came to the place where the bedrock was bare. Here I gathered gold by the handful, some pieces as large as walnuts. I sized up the creek and learned that beyond all doubt, I had found Slumach’s Lost Creek Mine. “I traced the course of the creek to where it flows into a subterranean tunnel and is lost. Then I packed out all the gold I could carry. When I sold it in Frisco it brought me close to $10,000. Now the doctor has told me I am liable to drop dead at any time. Don’t give up, Shotwell, You’ll be rewarded beyond your wildest dreams. Don’t give up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home