Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Wild World Magazine , November 1951

C V Tench, The Wild World Magazine , November 1951
Mr Murray had a copy of Jackson’s letter and the map…Part of the letter reads:
After reaching the headwaters of Pitt Lake I discharged my two native guides and headed out into the mountains. I had been out about two months when, my health seriously affected by short rations, I decided to turn back. I climbed to the top of a sharp ridge to get my bearings and found myself looking down into a little valley or canyon I had not seen previously. With some difficulty, I reached the little creek lying in the valley.
Now comes the interesting part. I had only a small prospector’s pan, but I found “colours” immediately. I knew I had struck it rich. In going up the creek I came to a place where the bedrock is bare. Here I gathered gold by the handful, some pieces as large as walnuts. I sized up the creek and learned that beyond all doubt I had found Slummach’s Lost Creek Mine. I traced the course of the creek to where it flows into a subterranean tunnel and is lost. I then packed out all the gold I could carry. It brought me close to ten thousand dollars when I sold it in ‘Friso. “Now the doctor had told me that I am liable to go at any time. “Don’t give up, Shotwell. You will be rewarded beyond your wildest dreams. Don’t give up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home